Thursday, January 13, 2011

Masr

I came across the following video featured on one of my favorite sites, The Travel Photographer, by Tewfic El-Sawy. He introduces the piece by Javier Morgade with the following preamble:

In my view (and I should know), Javier managed to capture in this short movie the essence of the Egyptian character, the kindness, humor, hospitality and generosity...even their occasional legendary intrusiveness. It saddens me to see the poverty in the alleys of old Cairo, but as always, it's mitigated by the Egyptian talent for being able to share setbacks, poverty, sorrows, and life troubles. No Egyptian is an island...and while they find enormous solace in their extended families and friends, neighbors and even casual acquaintances...they deserve better.

No comments:

Post a Comment